Tuesday, March 17, 2009

Upadate

So I'm still taking my new medicine. I call it the devil in a pill. Seriously, like 15 minutes after I take it, I can't figure out if I need to throw up, eat, or run to the bathroom. I hate it!!! I was pretty dang sick while I was on my fertility medicine, but I was under the delusion that it would make me pregnant, so it was worth it. This medicine is such a long shot, that it's hard to be excited. Tomorrow I work my way up to 3 pills a day, so I should be real chipper for my interview at 4 :)

Some of you have asked me what this pill is supposed to do, and the best way I can describe it is, it may help me ovulate all by my lonesome, but this really is a long shot. This is my last option, so I'm going to do it, and do it right, but I just can't seem to get excited about it. Since I don't ovulate, even on fertility drugs, IVF isn't an option. There is a new procedure that isn't FDA approved, but it is similar to In vetro, it's called in vetro maturation. For IVF, the docs will dope you up on hormones (yuck) so you ovulate a bunch, then they'll take some eggs out, fertilize them, and put them back in, freeze some, whatever. I'm really simplifying this, but you get the idea right? Anyway, IVM, which is widely used in Europe, you don't have to use the fertility drugs to make you ovulate. This is good, because they don't work for me. They will instead take your follicle, before it becomes an egg (or doesn't in my case) they then make it mature outside of you, fertilize it, and put it back in.

I'm not sure how I feel about it, at what point are we going too far with science? Any who, there is a clinic in Chicago that will do it, it's "experimental" or whatever, but come on, name me one person who has been trying to get pregnant for almost 6 years (like me) that thinks rationally? We're all a little crazy aren't we? In fact, I should clarify what I mean by not being excited. I'm still crazy enough to think it may work, and I still think about it all the time, but I also really dread taking the pill. With fertility drugs, I was like take this for a few more weeks, and get preggers, so I couldn't wait to take the next one, even though I spent most of my time, yelling, crying, and puking, yummy right?

Well, that's your update, enjoy!

3 comments:

Monica said...

You are in my prayers. I hate this medicine is making you feel so bad!

Anonymous said...

eewww... that doesn't sound pleasant. I sure hope this proves fruitful, and that you end up puking because a baby is on the way. Sorry you feel so awful :(

Laura said...

An upadate huh. :) I had no idea about that medicine, thanks for explaining. And I'm sorry you are feeling so bad with it, but hopefully (and we're praying so) it will work and be all worth it. :)